PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2014, 20:01
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have just read the SI Report into this accident. Although some of the Findings do not directly contribute to the accident they are a reflection of the appalling way in which the Reds Squadron was run at that time. The lack of discipline that was displayed in so many areas is an indictment of how the Squadron was run. The lack of Supervision from Boss, Wg Cdr, and Commandant shows a total lack of awareness and interest in the day to day running of the Sqn.

I was on a “small unit” for 12 years of the 40 that I served and know of the temptations to short cut the system.Particularly when in a privileged position such as the Reds it is possible to become arrogant and become “above the law”. I thought that after the investigation into “small units” in the early 1990s that these lessons had been learnt. The Reds do a great job in the air but there is more to aviation than pulling 6G or being 4 feet away from 8 other aircraft in close formation.

The present day service, in my opinion, does not teach discipline. Discipline is not something learnt on a parade square or moving pine poles. It is that ability todo the correct thing on all occasions, despite any outside pressures. That translates into strapping in correctly,always doing safety checks correctly, switching OFF you’re your mobile at the Out-brief,completing CT as laid down and completing the records truthfully. I could go on,but the lesson is there.

The Service needs to have a long hard look at itself. This unfortunate accident has been waiting to happen. Despite all of the great things that the Service has achieved in the past 15 years, that is when the rot set in. In the brave new world of the RAF some of the basics have been lost. The most important of those is discipline!