PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Combining Engineering and Flying
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2014, 16:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ManUtd1999
Interesting stuff, thanks for the replies. As always, experience will be key. When you graduate with an MEng, the only options available are 'grad schemes' with the major companies, or some entry level roles with smaller contractors. With experience, the jobs really open up and engineers are in demand worldwide.

Another career I quite like the sound of is ground instructing (ATPL theory type stuff). Presumably an engineering degree would help here, although I guess they want ATPL holders first and foremost?
I think that your first paragraph here is a very fair summary of the situation - but don't discount smaller companies, as the breadth of experience gained may be very great.

I doubt that many training providers will want groundschool teachers who haven't passed those exams themselves, and preferably have some form of teaching qualification. But that said - an aero-eng degree is certainly beneficial if you've met the baseline. That said, I don't think it pays very well; I've been offered some, and the money wasn't really worth it for me.

G