PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar and Qatari
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2014, 09:57
Bokkenrijder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course it is absolutely sickening and you're absolutely right about that! I'm definitely not saying that all is well in DOH.

Nevertheless, I continue to be shocked by such enormous naivety (or should I even say, stupidity?) of the people who even go there! Who on EARTH applies there?! Why on EARTH did you ever apply there, let alone quit a stable job in Europe? I mean, these stories about QR are hardly real news for anyone who has been working in the airline industry for the last decade and has their finger a little bit on the pulse...

Seven, eight years ago when I actively started thinking about leaving that same orange EU company you worked for, I briefly thought about the ME, but even then it was already an open secret that EK was the only 'reasonable' outfit in the dessert. The others (QR and the 'unmentionable one') were to be avoided at all costs, unless you were totally desperate after having lost your job, like for example the poor blokes at Spanair.

Anyway, it's typical and it's always the same story;

1) people get blinded by quick riches and throw caution to the wind ("oooh stop complaining, you're so negative!") and start believing a fairy tale,
2) people find out the hard way and then say: "well, I couldn't have known, nobody has seen that coming!"

p.s. I'm not saying that all is rosy here in the EU. I realize the risks and I know that job stability (especially in difficult economic times) is very limited. It's exactly because of these ME airlines and their medieval employment practices that undermine our jobs in the EU or US, and with that all human decency and respect that took decades to build! However, if I lose my job, at least I won't have to pack my suitcase(s) within 24h, or I won't be locked up in the slammer because of an outstanding mortgage debt or car loan that I can't repay without a job.

Last edited by Bokkenrijder; 6th Feb 2014 at 10:50.