PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2014, 20:11
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by david viewing
The PA-28 could not have held off that ferocious crosswind wing low, because there is just not the control authority, but in the crab it can defy (almost) any wind. Of course in the last few feet the wind gradient usually falls off, meaning that the 'kicking' straight is normally a gradual adjustment, not the violent manoevre described by some. Just be ready to keep straight during the roll out!
I'm surprised that that. I'd have thought to get the max possible cross wind (lets ignore demonstrated) you would need to use a combinations of both techniques (crabbed and wing down). I haven't quite got it right in my head, but if you have enough rudder authority to "kick" straight, why wouldn't you have enough authority to have a wing down approach?

I'm not sure if this helps, but this is Airbus' advice:
http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/medi...LAND-SEQ05.pdf

At the top crosswind limits, it talks about crabbing on the approach, but using wing down by around 5 degrees and 5 degree crab angle when touching down.

At the moment I normally crab until not far off the runway, then transition to wing low, stabilise, then flare with wing low. This works.

I had a problem in training when I had myself sorted for a certain cross wind, then would apply the same rudder input when I had a lesser crosswind and ended up crabbed the wrong direction (low enough that was still on the centre line but the tyres didn't like it...). 2nd time - no problems as I'd learnt, that is until the next time I flew, when the crosswind component would be different and I'd have the same problem again.
Transitioning higher I found considerably easier and more stable. Over time I've transitioned lower and lower as I've gained experience, but it takes experience to know how much rudder input is needed to get yourself straight without labouring the transition so you end up drifting.

My instructors were happy to teach both techniques and discuss the advantages of each.

Yes - I was training in a 20kt crosswind at times and in a Bulldog which has a v. powerful rudder (max demonstrated = 35kt!) so lack of technique is / was magnified.