PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF471 - Nov 16th 2011 - Final Report
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2014, 17:14
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quotes from CONF_iture:

"It was "normal" but unwise."
Normal for the AP, not for the PF, which is why I described it later as "a no-no"!

"This is not what happened. AP disconnected when both were pulling on their yoke. Only later on the CPT has been unexplainably pushing on his controls."
Quite. You might consider reading what I write more carefully? After the AP disconnected, the PNF's attempts to pitch the a/c up seem to have been hindered by the PF's pushing forward. One wonders if the PF might have been anticipating an over-rotation that never happened.

"Actually, it would be very interesting to know if the too weak action of the CPT on the controls to disconnect AP, had any effect on the THS ... ?"
That was what I suggested, but you argued quite correctly that to maintain the descent the HS would need to compensate for TOGA even without pilot interference.

Quote from flyhardmo:
"The 777 FBW will auto trim the HS during any power or config changes so you don't feel the trim changes."

That sounds straight out of a sales brochure! My question was: does it have to trim forward during a normal go-around, and - if so - roughly how much? In other words, did the fact that it had trimmed 1.65 deg forward before the AP disconnected subsequently make the pilots' manual rotation to a go-around pitch more difficult, or would they have needed to trim forward anyway?