PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2014, 12:58
david viewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to come late to this well mannered and highly educational thread, but I can't help feeling that we've missed the point. This is about what happens on that day when, despite the best pre-flight planning, the crosswind goes outside 'demonstrated' limits.

I've always used crab angle right to the ground, straightening just before the wheels touch, and this has served me (and apparently my aircraft) well. This was especially true one day flying my PA-28 to a single runway airport in Sweden where the unforecast x-wind component turned out to be 30kt+. The landing was a non-event, unlike the subsequent taxi which was extremely difficult due to the aircraft constantly wanting to weathercock.

As I turned off I watched the next arrival, an ATR flying wing low, and for a moment I really thought the wing tip had touched the ground. It's the closest I've been to witnessing a CAT incident.

The PA-28 could not have held off that ferocious crosswind wing low, because there is just not the control authority, but in the crab it can defy (almost) any wind. Of course in the last few feet the wind gradient usually falls off, meaning that the 'kicking' straight is normally a gradual adjustment, not the violent manoevre described by some. Just be ready to keep straight during the roll out!