PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF471 - Nov 16th 2011 - Final Report
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2014, 12:19
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from Lonewolf_50:
"Point being, I presume, to maintain last ordered/selected state or performance. If pilot is to fly it by hand AP disconnect would be a usual first step. Do I have that right?"

Definitely. Trying to override the AP is a no-no. If it's not doing what you want, you must disengage it. **

I infer that this PF must have thought that (a) he had operated the TOGA switches and/or (b) he had already disengaged the AP (he had, of course, only disconnected the A/THR). Meanwhile, the autotrim was countering his gentle pull-up by down-trimming the HS by 1.65 deg in 6 seconds.

Quote from CONF_iture:
"So we don't have a similar appreciation of the situation, as thrust increase and its pitch up effect + speed increase alone justify the THS nose down movement to properly trim for the negative pitch necessary for the aircraft to follow the GS."

Quite. Perhaps a B777 pilot will also tell us what the HS would normally have been doing if the go-around had been conducted properly - with or without AP? Experience on other big twins with under-slung engines suggests that down-trimming is normally required to counteract the thrust increase AND the partial retraction of the flaps. So maybe the failure of the a/c to rotate to a go-around pitch when the PNF pulled hard enough to disconnect the AP was caused purely by the PF's unexplained pushing on the yoke.

In terms of hours, this was a very experienced crew - both in terms of total hours, and hours on type...

** Detractors of Airbus-FBW should note that, with no AP connection to/from the sidesticks, the action of pulling a sidestick back would have no effect on the AP or autotrim until it was pulled hard enough to disengage the AP. At AP disconnect, the THS would still be trimmed for the vertical profile the AP was last conducting.