PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth
Thread: Tiger Moth
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2014, 09:34
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I correct in saying that Chipmunk landings were normally glide approaches same as we did on Tigers?
Like any aeroplane I've flown (and that's a few, but all SEPs) it's happy either way. I generally did steepish low or no power approaches - it just seems more natural in that aeroplane.

Unless following an instrument procedure, it is poor airmanship to drag any SEP along a long shallow final with power against drag. A short shallow final for a short landing is OK, however.

But one really should use whatever landing technique works best in the circumstances, so you need to be well practiced in all of them.

At Barton, our Chippy's home for many years, bomber circuit pilots preceding permitting (and there were a lot of those) I'd turn base quite close in, power off, short final, and land. Indeed the entire circuit was tight.

Landing before a commecial jet transport at Liverpool John Lennon, the heavy already on final, that technique worked as well and Air Traffic were skilled and getting you in like that (I used a descending base leg along the airfield boundary).

More often at John Lennon you'd be held south or north of the field for a gap in the commercial inbounds. My technique then, when cleared in ("recommended spacing 6 nautical miles") was to maintain clean configuration, high power, and keep the speed on (about 100 kts, normal cruise being 90) to very short final and watch the airliner's touchdown. Once on final, power right off, speed rapidly back to VFE 1st stage, and flap lowered while still bringing the speed back. At VFE second stage, full flap lowered and the aeroplane trimmed for 60 kts. Remaining high on final like this, and touching down after the airliner's touchdown point, kept one away from the dreaded wake turbulence.

This was followed by a 3-point touchdown, and hopefully one was down to taxi speed for the 'Foxtrot' turn-off. The first time power was applied after that initial 'power off' on final, was for taxying.

That technique worked well and caused no delay to a stream of commercial inbounds. I think if you waited for a 6 nautical mile gap and then flew a 'normal' approach you'd be facing a considerable delay in getting back in!