PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAP 667 9.2(c)
Thread: CAP 667 9.2(c)
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2003, 00:20
drauk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was driving along the motorway yesterday in a £50,000 sports car. The sky was looking a bit grey, it was very cold and I started to worry it might snow. I was really hungry, so much that my stomach was aching. I was in a bit of a hurry because I was going to miss my favourite TV programme. To top it all I was bursting for the toilet. Imagine my horror when the car spluttered as it ran out of fuel (the other day the same thing happened at the engine just stopped for no reason and time before that a wheel fell off). I managed to get up a very fortunately placed slip road so I wasn't in anyone's way and I felt relieved to be safe. I called the AA and asked them to come and fetch me. They said it would cost 200 pounds because I wasn't a member. I said I couldn't afford 200 pounds, they said something about owning an expensive sports car and that perhaps I should have been more careful about my fuel. I told them I had lots of things on my mind and the last thing I wanted to worry about was whether they would charge me to tow me to a garage.

I know the analogy doesn't hold up to too much scrutiny, but I still don't get why airfields should waive landing fees.

I tell you what, if you're flying past Luton, your engine cuts, you're in a genuine life or death situation, and you don't feel inclined to land there because of the landing fee, go ahead and land, send me a PM and I'll come up to Luton and pay the landing fee for you - £200 is a small price to save a life or four. Honestly I will.