PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 5th Feb 2014, 07:06
brissypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Sarcs,

CASA’s occurrence data files do not show a record of any accident or incident attributable to pilots’ colour vision deficiency.
Then why are CVD pilots battling CASA at the AAT once again, for the 3rd time??

CASA is not seeking to wind back the colour vision policy or to conduct a de facto appeal of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal decisions in the matters of Pape and Secretary Department of Aviation [1987] AATA 354 and Denison and Civil Aviation Authority [1989] AATA 84.

CASA is presently considering the use of the CAD test for the third level of testing as a more targeted and appropriate method of testing to simulate an operational situation.
There are reports that a number of experienced Emirates pilots have recently been made redundant as a result of the CAD being introduced an annual colour vision test in the UAE. I'm sure our infamous PMO would love to see the same occur in Oz.

Maybe I'm blind, but it doesn't look very aviation specific to me. Seems more like another laboratory based test... I'm still trying to figure out how it simulates an operational situation!

Judging by the reported recommendations in the PMO's AAT witness statement that for pilots who fail the CAD be issued with VFR, daytime only medicals, with no carriage or passengers, it's hard to see how CASA are denying plans to wind back the colour vision policy.
2. CASA does not allocate a specific Budget to individual litigation matters.

Kharon
There is a story floating about the place that Avmed is providing up to (+/-12) 'experts' in support, many from overseas, no doubt at great expense. We can only hope they are all not 'briefed' in the same manner as the Bolton experts (post # 67). Credibility rating ? Shambollic, Shambollocks or Shamebollic (you choose).
With 12 witnesses, one would think that these costs will very quickly escalate.