PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2014, 04:54
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250k reasons for FF wet lettuce bitch slap of PelAir..??

Creamy...." I do not think we are talking at cross-purposes"..."I think we are in furious agreement..." to quote a certain Miniscule Senate rep

I agree that FF are quite within their rights to investigate the pilot on concerns that he doesn't reach the 'requisite standard for fuel planning and management'... and to take..."administrative action to ensure the pilot regains the requisite standard of competence".

Although I have some serious concerns about the due process followed in arriving at that administrative enforcement action (i.e. 'the Notice'). I also still believe that in a 'real world' the same objective, as outlined in the original NOS, could have been achieved internally with a FF observer along for the ride..

It is almost like FF has no faith in the robustness of their own regulated & approved systems, such as SMS ('just culture') , CAR 217 (including their own ATO delegates..) & FRMS. Perhaps this is because they know that DJ was, in reality, a 'normalised deviation' within one of their own fully approved AOC holders??

Comment: For a short, interesting read on 'normalised deviation' the following link is worth a peruse: "Normalization of a Deviation"

There is also much research and commentary on Just Culture & SMS in aviation, but perhaps for an up-to-date perspective from a (god forbid..) Human Factors mob, the following is worth a read: Safety Culture…Is not just part of your SMS, it is your SMS

Funny how these current experts (unlike Beaker) still espouse the teachings of James Reason..:
Aviation expert, Dr. James Reason said, “If you are convinced that your organization has a good safety culture, you are almost certainly mistaken… A safety culture is something that is strived for but rarely attained – the process is more important than the product.
But moving right along with a downwind tack.., came across this article c/o SMH yesterday : App bottom line no wheezy mark

Here is the relevant bit:
The Singapore-backed regional airline gifted $70,000 to the federal Libs and $95,700 to the Nats in 2012-13. Its largesse to the right side of the politics might not surprise too many, given its deputy chairman, John Sharp, was a transport minister under the Howard government. But what is a surprise is that its biggest donation - $250,000 - was to Labor.
It would appear that a former, right of centre, pollie & transport miniscule was having a quiet interlude..tiptoeing (with Albo ), on the LH side of the fence, at around the time that FF were putting in place the PelAir fix...