PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow CEO to retire
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2014, 01:35
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Response to TM

This would have been way off topic in the Chiles thread:

It is good to see Bristow investing in new aircraft after their customers had continually demanded newer technology. But, Bristow still has its share of old 332s that they will roll out if they think there is a $ in it. Hopefully JB will take safety up another notch and make some bold decisons. Keeping pressure on the OEMs to take better care of their business would be a good place to start and finally retiring 32 year old helicopters before they retire themselves would also be appreciated by the poor passengers who have to ride in them.
Unlike an airplane there isn't much beyond a data plate that is 32 years old in that 32 year old helicopter. Even the most basic structural airframe components are scrutinized like no wing spar ever is. Avionics mature to a degree, yes.

I'll fly whatever you want to pay for, but if it was my money, I would never put a design on contract that had less than 10 years operational 'experience'. That gives time for the quirks of the design to be learned and fixed/understood.

As far as comfort...if that is an issue we should still have 61's on the line, sure beats a 332! Or just fly them all out one at a time in 135's. Nice lie flat beds in the back (a la British Airways First Class). At no time will more than one passenger ever be at risk in a single incident.

It's a fine line for an operator...trying to give the customer what they demand but staying within the budget they are willing to pay. Goalposts that are constantly on the move.