PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 19:27
gcpilot8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can bring Sanjay Gupta to make that argument for you and it will make absolutely no difference....!
I don't think Japanese will even listen to the Surgeon General

As TD says, it doesn't matter what your opinion of BMI is, you either conform to their standards and how they want to play the game or you don't join.
Only wishing that they would be more practical than the age old BMI, but I guess it's one way of keeping a lot of people out from this competitive job.

Man GC, if you have this much problems accepting the bMI standards, how will you deal with all the other little things that they do during training? One of the first things you learn here is to don't ask why.
I do not have any problem accepting their BMI standards but was just wishing the process was more scientific, accurate like body fat ratio. Even the US military accepts body fat ratio even if the BMI is high.Pilots with a lot of muscles and who do weight lifting are adversely affected by their BMI rules. Those pilots could be perfectly fine on the inside but just because of having muscles they get disqualified . I was just WISHING that they would take a more scientific, reliable, practical approach. I guess just like the "white gloves" policy, this BMI technique will stay.

If I ever get fortunate enough to join, I think I will go fine with the "culture" there as I was born and raised in Asia and lived there for 20 years. I do understand the culture and expectations.

Having said that, time for more exercise and healthier options

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge. We, newbies, appreciate a lot.

Good luck and blue skies ahead

Last edited by gcpilot8; 4th Feb 2014 at 22:07.