PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the best way to become an airline pilot these days???
Old 11th Apr 2003, 22:16
Vin Diesel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be an airline pilot? Well, self sponsorship is probably the most likely route for you to take to get your fATPL. At this point however, as others point out, the ATPL exams are not a walk in the park.
I am in business in DCU. Ultimately i want to follow a career as an airline pilot. I have the Trevor Thom books which i read, and i have a few, not many, lessons, under my belt at PPL level. This will give you a good idea of what flying is about.
Whatever you decide to do as regards college, it would be prudent to have a plan B should aviation not work out. Bear in mind that many people who qualify with fATPL's never reach a commercial airliner cockpit.
I sense that engineering may have been the wrong course choice for you. But, showing that you can pass something that you do not enjoy, will show character. And of the 14 ATPL's i am certain that you will come up with something which equally will require "character" to pass, and first time passes and high scores will increase your attractiveness to potential employers.
In any event, good academic achievement will stand to you in life. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
I would sit the exams, study my ass off for the next three weeks and try to pass. Then you have the summer to work, save some money, get a medical and i would strongly suggest taking a few lessons to get the feel of flying.
Also, do as much research as is humanely possible into all training options and career opportunities.