PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR to BKK 1969 route query
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 16:35
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Indeed a BOAC time table for eastabout flights was something to behold as it looked like a rail timetable listing all the stopping points and with a little table to decipher the asterisks, exclamations and those little dagger marks used to explain why the BA xxx didn't stop in Thran on May 2nd or whatever.

I am not sure of the precise year but it must have been around that time when listening to LHR ground a Thai international DC8 (basically an SAS DC8 with some decals ) got their clearance to Bangkok via a Dover 1 B squawk etc etc . After the read back a slightly incredulous Heathrow ATC asked the crew-'Are you actually going non stop to Bangkok, and on being told yes they were the ATCO said can I ask how long that will take . A very droll Thai crew member said 12 hours 2 minutes off of 28L and 12 hours 6 minutes if its 28 R.

That does seem a long haul for a DC8 even a -62 model so perhaps it was some sort of delivery flight or other non rev flight . I know SAS flew out that way stopping in Tashkent in those days

Bit of a digression I know but it also shows just how much air travel has moved on