PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 15:13
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Blacksheep

That all sounds familiar.

The debate at the time (given we tried to ignore AMSO's edict) included an interesting question. If the fault was first noticed on the Reference or Sample system, did that count as the first "event"? The answer was, Reference - Yes (because it is held at 24 hours readiness for front line use and is at, or beyond, the In-Service Build Standard) and Sample - No (because, like Hot Rigs, it has known unserviceable LRUs applied to it, so false data is inevitable, and it is almost never at the In Service standard).

The reason I remembered this was because if Martin Baker uncovered the possible over-tightening issue, it may have been on their Reference seat. If that were so, there would be a very formal way of reporting and investigating; quite different from someone, for example, just thinking of the risk or spotting an error in a tech pub.

I still think it inconceivable they did not inform MoD. MoD have admitted so many times now their entire system was is disarray. My bet is MB sent the paperwork to a defunct department/address and it was thrown in file 13. I certainly recall many AMSO and ASE sections at the time changing their titles but retaining their addresses. Anything addressed to the old title was binned, even though it got to the right person in the right office. MB's contract would tell them who the point of contact was. That would take months or even years to be amended. But I'm sure the SI, Coroner and CPS explored all this.