PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger crash at KASE
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 13:12
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dear life after aviation:

it is nice for you to apologize for your harsh tone.

but perhaps you had not fully read my post?

I mentioned being fully configured for landing.

I spoke of visual miscues and a good copilot calling things like speed , bank angle and more.

I mentioned that the highest ground speed was at the point of highest bank so I would like to think I would be on guard as the higher the bank the closest stall (for a given speed).

Accelerated stalls can happen in level flight (if you work at it). Massive turbulence caused by orographic lifting might upset your plane.

BUT I gave many, many safety and protective methods to help someone attempting this maneuver.

I hope you will re read my post and look at all the protections I mentioned.

Your own post says: you are probably not fully configured

yet it is one of my first conditions.

FULLY configured because you have such a small area to circle and the slower the speed (CONSISTENT with stall protection) allows for a lesser bank angle than making the same maneuver with no flaps/leds and much higher speeds.

Mountain flying has its own visual mis cues or illusions as you put it. I've offered what I think is the most safe and protected method of circling to 33.

AND even then I've offered the attitude that you might have to get the hell out of there.

And I don't think I would try it in a non LED equipped challenger or other aircraft that couldn't circle, FULLY CONFIGURED at Vref plus 20 (or whatever your manual says) much above 140KIAS.