PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA have cancelled my flight. What are my options?
Old 4th Feb 2014, 12:49
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Espada III,

please don't assume your preferences are similar mine.
People are entitled to their opinions. It is a free democratic world and people are able to express those opinions.

So I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion that if you have/want to go to Israel for religious or family reasons then be my guest. But if you don't, there are many other better options in the European region.

Are you seriously telling me that you've never in your life expressed an independent opinion on a holiday destination ?

Your comment about food reveals all there is to know about your lack of knowledge.
I know a lot more about good food than you think. The food in Israel is nothing special..... sure if you go to the right places its good.... but its nothing special that you can't find elsewhere in that region and the mediterranean in general and is certainly not worth putting up with the security and political situation in Israel for.

don't use 'oy vey' unless you really know what it means.
According to the dictionary....

indicating dismay or grief (used mainly by Yiddish-speakers), late 19th century: Yiddish, literally 'oh woe'.

I don't see anything there about it being derogatory or racist, and I also note the words "mainly used by". I think you know full well that it's use is fairly widespread outside the yiddish speaking community.

I apologise if you misinterpreted my intentions when using it. I think its somewhat obvious that I did not intend to insult an entire religion, which is what you seem to want to construe it to be.

How about we let sleeping dogs lie, and agree to disagree ? On both the use of 'oy vey' by non-practising human beings and the pros/cons of visiting Israel ?

Last edited by mixture; 4th Feb 2014 at 13:18.