PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 12:33
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Centre Cities

Problem with BEE's 175s is that they are underpowered, a choice that BEE made presumably on operating costs, rather than use the higher powered engine variants. Take the engines off their 195s, bolt them on the 175s, job done, Malaga, Faro etc here we come!

As I mentioned in my 28 January post, problem is not just the current runway length its " the close-in obstacle problems (mainly trees near Mansbridge".

SOU has two runway 20 Type A take-off charts, one climbing straight ahead towards the hill, and another making a right turn after take-off to avoid the hill. The latter is worth around 1-2 tonnes extra take-off weight when I last checked performance charts. Due to the close proximity of trees (Marhill Copse I believe is the name of their location) to the end of the runway many aircraft cannot take advantage of the angled take-off path. Remove the offending trees and they can. From my previous rants you will see that this was part of my 20+ years of frustration working for "the world class airport group" who's priority appeared to be more focused on world class terminal toilets.