PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lights on WWII Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 11:36
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
When I was with UBAS at Shawbury, the syllabus for the Preliminary Flying Badge required solo night flying. To achieve this, while at the same time minimizing the risk of damaged Chipmunks, each student flew about one hour dual followed by one solo circuit.

The evening I did my night flying, we were operating on the short runway 05/23. There were electric edge lights, but they far enough apart, that at Chipmunk speeds you could get a black-hole effect between the lights. So to counteract this, goosenecks were laid between the edge lights. It gave a very eery appearance, with the flickering gooseneck flames in between the brighter electric lights.

The next day our LAC MT driver borrowed a truck and a few of us students went along with him to retrieve the goosenecks. He was a bit enthusiastic with his driving and some paraffin was spilt on the floor of the truck.

It turned out that the truck he had borrowed was normally used to transport food and the owner was not all pleased. Our driver ended up on a charge!

Here's a gooseneck for those that have never seen one: