PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2014, 00:28
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multicom vs area frequency

So this is something noted by my instructors recently (see my bolding):

CAAP 166-1 (Dec 2013): "At aerodromes where the carriage of radio is not mandatory, pilots of radio-equipped aircraft should monitor the CTAF and, at a minimum, broadcast their intentions in accordance with the minimum calls set-out in Section 7.3 of this CAAP. Good airmanship also implies that pilots should monitor and broadcast their intentions on the relevant Area Frequency when operating at aerodromes not in ESRA or marked on charts."

It then goes onto say explicitly:

"Note: Feedback from the industry suggests there is some confusion about this procedure, and many pilots are using the Multicom frequency, 126.7 MHz, at aerodromes without a CTAF. Pilots should use the relevant Area Frequency as described above, unless they are in the vicinity of a CTAF aerodrome or in a Broadcast Area."

- We tried this on a navex, got told to bugger off by the area controller.

So the CAAP is telling me to use the area frequency when there is not a CTAF specified. Now if you go to the AIP (GEN) you find the definition of Multicom (126.7) as "Multicom: The frequency (126.7MHZ) used for broadcasts while operating to or from a non--towered aerodrome that does not have a discrete CTAF assigned." With a bit more in GEN 4.5.1.

So, my question is: You're operating at an aerodrome with no designated CTAF and a single radio, what frequency are you on?

There are two conflicting official guidelines here (obviously AIP trumps CAAP from a [technical] legal perspective) which is a detriment to safety.

Gareth.