PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 21:11
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pathetic just about sums this up SSD.

How did aviation get to the place where so many flight instructors are so poorly trained in airplane handling skills that a Citabria is beyond their ability to fly????
Sad but true. Probably came about because instructing was used to build hours while waiting for an airline job, badly paid, no respect for those instructors who genuinely tried to do a good job, and no consideration for the paying student by the airline wannabes.

Never flown a Citabria myself, but if I had to vote for world's easiest taildragger I would go for the Pawnee, brilliant tug but a bit heavy on fuel. Or maybe the Wilga, what's more it has a round engine.

Back on topic though, I prefer a wheeler on tarmac in a crosswind in the Super cub, and three point with the Jodel. Just seems more comfortable, I can't really come up with a logical reason. Oh, and I might take out some of the crosswind component on a wide runway by going a bit diagonal. Next problem is taxying with less than efficient brakes in the Cub, with the original bag brakes. Forget it altogether in the 112 with pathetic cable brakes!

I mostly fly off grass, or at the moment, mud. Does anyone have a system for washing the underside of the wing without water running down inside their sleeves?