PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why use only pitot-static system for altimeter/airspeed
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 20:21
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice, Desert, and Okie was a frequent contributor on the 447 threads.

As one said on the thread, "don't just do something, just sit there".

The 'bus reversion modes do not seem to go to "attitude" hold when the air data is deemed unreliable . They just go back to "manual", such as it is in the FBW system they have. And that isn't too bad, considering the system tries to achieve 1 gee adjusted for pitch attitude. So it resembles an "attitude" control mode. But the pilots tried to do "something" versus taking a moment to analyze what they had and what the jet was doing. Still makes me cry.

Only had one pitot-static freeze and it was the static pressure. So IAS went off the charts as I descended. Fortunately, I had the super flight path marker in my HUD and knew the power settings for the descent. Below 5,000 feet the radar altimiter kicked in and finally the sensors thawed out. 'course, I had good AoA for the approach if the air data stuff remained frozen. This was back in early 70's

I cannot emphasize the value of an inertial flight path marker, and a HUD makes it even more useful. Airspeed goes tango uniform, BFD. You can see your flight path and stay where you want it - TOGA, cruise, descent on a precision approach or non-precision approach ( think Huntsville and Asiana). Sheesh. It was like cheating. With a flight director display, you don't even need the HUD. Just line up the symbols.

Inertial systems these days are very cheap compared to when I first saw them. One neat thing was the inertial vertical velocity bug next to the altitude scale on the HUD. Beat the hell outta the baro indicator, and I think about Asiana. The suckers are also independent of the baro data for short term use, but keeping the FPM on the horizon line was peachy keen when baro things went tango uniform. Then was the power settings we all knew from experience and the manuals.