PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your best moment in the military.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 18:05
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
USS Tarawa pulls into Hong Kong....takes up a Mooring Buoy adjacent to the China Fleet Club. Me and the XO having a Cup of Coffee in his State Room....when is heard over the 1-MC...."Captain to the Bridge.....Captain to the Bridge!".

The Engines had been Rung Off, Port Watch Stations Set. Crew getting ready for Liberty.

XO drops his Cup...sez "Follow Me!"....and off like Hares we go to the Bridge and arrive just as does the Captain.

The newest Ensign aboard....who had the Watch...looks at the Captain and says...."The Morring Buoy has parted its Anchor Chain....we are underway without power and are drifting down on the Sterrett (Guided Missile Cruiser)...Engine Room is responding to Bells....I have given Helm Orders to maintain our heading!".

The Fantail Watch Stander on the Tarawa could have shaken Hands with the Bow Watch on the Sterrett....but the ships did not touch.

As the Skipper was stood there in his Y-Fronts and tee shirt....he probably could have used those infamous Brown Corduroy Trousers Sailors talk of so much.

Young Ensign rose to the occasion...did all the right things....saved his Captain's Career...and made himself a very good friend in the Skipper that day.

If you think Train Wrecks happen in Slow Motion....Ship Wrecks really take time!

I saw a Navy Captain contemplating life as a Retired Commander for a bit there that day.....even though it was not his fault what happened. At the time all he said was "Well Done! I have the Conn!".