PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger crash at KASE
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 16:47
lifeafteraviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with discussing anything anonymously is people just have to take your word for what you know. I've said some things in these forums I wouldn't necessarily want employers to be able to identify me for...that's the whole point.

Giving away details of one's background here, while tempting, is not wise. The more diverse and specialized one's background, the more easily that the person is identified.

But you're right, it's a bit off topic to discuss the legal liability of financing companies and lien holders. One could write a book on it. Those with the most money to lose (such as banks) are highly skilled at insulating themselves from such liability.

When it comes to discussing regulations and possible implications of the accident at Aspen, that is very much on topic and has been discussed at length. I feel very strongly that unnecessary knee jerk regulations don't enhance safety rather than diminish safety.

There is no need to regulate against reckless behavior when it's already illegal. When I say illegal I mean criminally illegal. It's a crime to deliberately violate professional codes of conduct, established safety regulations or aircraft limitations when such reckless behavior results in a serious accident with loss of life and or property.

Manslaughter is already a crime, we don't need more civil regulations against it unless you're a lawyer...lawyers always want more regulation to keep them in business.

Criminal charges require a burden of proof beyond the scope of an NTSB accident investigation. Such investigations can, however, be used as evidence in both civil and criminal cases. It will take a while for the NTSB to complete it's investigation. Meanwhile, the aviation civil litigators are anxiously waiting in the "wings."

As far as criminal charges go...the fact that this captain must live his life with the knowledge of having killed his own brother is punishment enough IMO.