PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 09:39
willy wombat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I shouldn't digress, but the first airliner I ever saw the inside of was a Pan Am 707 at PIK. This would be about 1966. The aircraft had parked on the stand nearest the terminal on the LHS of the pier (is that stand 2?), pax had disembarked and along with a couple of mates I was sitting on the wall next to the stand. In those days there were no fences, no security etc and the captain wandered over and asked whether we would like to have a look inside, which we did. Unthinkable nowadays. I also made my first flight from PIK in a Caledonian Britannia so I have a great deal of affection for the old place but that doesn't change the fact that times change. My main concern is that PIK's new ownership status has the possibility of distorting competition which would not be to anyone's interests in the long term - airlines, airports or pax. PS that reminds me of another curiosity you used to see at PIK in the 1960s - Pan Am 727s ferrying to and from Berlin for the IGS. I'd better stop now before this gets moved to Spotters' Corner.