PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ian Weaver - Blue Badge
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 05:42
Scottie66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim Stab,

Before you pan Wibble for enjoying golf, you may wish to know exactly how he suffers and why he requested a Blue Badge. The following is an extract from Wibble's letter to the authorities explaining why he wouold like to retain his Blue Badge...

"Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your letter, dated 14th January 2014. I was disappointed to see you have reversed the decision to renew my Disabled Per...
sons Parking Badge. Disappointed yes, but not surprised that suddenly, I no longer meet any of the criteria that I have met for the last 15 years, despite my condition worsening. It was obvious from the new application procedure that the whole process has become shrouded in levels of bureaucracy, that mean that a doctor’s advice can be completely ignored.

My injuries as you know, for they were well documented in my original application, were the result of a flying accident that occurred during training for the defence of this country. Since being discharged from the Royal Air Force, I have asked for nothing from this country in return; I have not claimed for any disability or mobility allowance, no unemployment benefit or income support. My only concession to this was, at the instruction of my medical team, to apply for and receive a Blue Badge.

That stood for 15 years, but you suddenly seem to know better. You stated in your letter that I admitted that I can walk at certain speeds in various situations. Yes I can walk. In fact, I pride myself on spending 40 minutes every other day, enduring the pain as I walk on a treadmill to keep myself slim and fit, thus not becoming another burden on the already over-stretched NHS. Strangely enough, I could walk 15 years ago, as you can read in my original application! You also stated that I had reported pain, yet took nothing to manage it. I quote from your letter: “Typically an applicant who suffers from higher levels of pain will be prescribed a stronger form of medication by a doctor”. DON’T YOU THINK IV’E TRIED or do you think I’m making it up. I have attended pain clinics on regular occasions, again well documented, but neuralgic pain is not touched by standard analgesic painkillers. The only drugs that can have any effect are anti-depressants, anti-fitting drugs and other mind-bending formulas. Of course, you would know this if you’d taken the time to research it. The last cocktail of such drugs I was prescribed, left me in a zombie-like state and caused me to collapse in a corridor after just 2 days. But yes, I can walk. Unfortunately, if I have to walk in the rain, it feels like burning oil is being splashed on any exposed skin. If it’s cold, my legs, feet, hands and the area around my kidneys feel like they are being immersed in boiling water. Just one episode of being subjected to the extreme cold for longer than necessary can leave me in pain and house-bound for weeks. So the closer I can get to my destination before I have to leave the car, the less I have to suffer this acute discomfort. But yes, I can walk!

So, how have I used the Badge over the last 15 years, during which time, presumably these conditions actually meant something. I have never parked on double yellow lines. If it is NOT cold or raining, I NEVER use the disabled parking spaces, but rather leave them to the people that have true walking difficulties. I only ever use it when, due to inclement weather, the distance to my final destination is going to cause me added pain and long-term suffering....."

His 'rant' as he calls it continues and makes for great reading and it obviously did the job.