PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your best moment in the military.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 01:44
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Melchett,

The US Army was not having a go at you....really. They did such things to themselves....in multiple Wars.

Was handed a hand scribbled note with coordinates, call sign, and frequency...told take this load of cargo to that location.

Quick check of map....and well off the map into another country....which had just the day before became part of our Area of Operations. Quick check with the Ground Guys...."Well Yes! That is the right place....just go up the highway till you see the pretty Green Grass Sod Runway....you cannot miss it....really!".

Off we go in the Wokka....we pass over lots of US Armor, pass by Air Strikes going in.....detour around some Artillery Fires going in....and cross the Border and head on up that highway with no Map to help in the process.

We gets to said pretty green grassed sod runway....two Civilian Single Engine Airplanes setting on at the end nearest the town. Two Frenchmen it looked like...or Cubans....or Russians but definitely not ethnic locals. We considered landing to make inquiries.

Nothing seen of our guys...no Tanks, ACAV's....nothing.

Chinese Parliament.....and its off back to where we started from.

Mission Cancelled.

A couple of Years later....I read of one hell of a fight in that town and learn of many .51 Caliber Anti-Aircraft Emplacements all around that pretty green grassed sod runway. We are talking about several Tanks destroyed, ACAV's destroyed....Helicopters shot down....and the town destroyed in the fighting.

Yes.....there are Guardian Angels.....and mine must have a drinking problem caused by his riding with me in those years.

A guy named Franks who led VII Corps lost his leg in that fight.