PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 22:02
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keyed the mike and quavered: "Stand By for Broadcast"...(deathly pause)..."What the f#ck do I say now !"
That, as we say up here, ia an absolute dumer (or doomer)

I,m still chuckling about it now! -Thanks for that one Danny.

I, m still using a Wylex consumer unit with rewirable carriers,-bought/aquired spares, so if one pops, just swap!...little coloured dots on them to denote the amperage they're supposed to be wired for...red, 30A blue 15A, white 5A.

have found odd lengths of lead-sheathed ,during renovations....conductors rubber covered and then woven-cotton sheathed...would cost a fortune to make today, which is probably why you only got 1 socket in a room (every one went back to it's own fuse on the fuseboard )

In my youth, I quickly established a superior technique to the B&M connection....one bared the "Tails" and if twisted, untwisted and fanned-out slightly and bent to 90*....poke flattened tails in appropriate holes, then shove in a plug for a switched item.....connection made, plug covered the bare bits2 items off one feed without a double adapter or second plug.
keep the tales coming, gents, As a civilian, i find them fascinating..

as an aside, in my teens I had a good friend who had done NS around 1953...he became a tank-driver and served in Germany...Apparently, the locals referred to them as "the children's army"....anyhow, he delighted in recounting how they would wait untol crops were well-developed, then drive full -tilt across them, thus destroying the poor farmer's efforts.....apparently the military did compensate them, but he didn't know or care if it covered the damage.

those were, indeed, the days.