PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 16:28
Flight_Idle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuts' bolts. I was not an armourer, so can only talk in the most general terms.

Some have been talking about bolt tensions etc, so for those who may not be unfamiliar with nuts' bolts...

A mechanism like a fork end on flying control cables, which is supposed to have movement, would normally have a shoulder bolt to prevent pinching. Often with a slotted nut & split pin, which would be just pinched against the shoulder of the bolt to prevent vibration, then split pinned.

A slotted nut has the slots cut into the body of the nut, not designed to take tension, a slotted nut is used on bolts designed to take shear loads.

A castellated nut has scalloped extensions to the main body of the nut & is used on bolts designed to take tension (& often shear loads as well)

Just from general airframe experience, I would say that the torque loading of a non shoulder bolt onto a moving mechanism, would be unreliable, due to possible differences in the 'Stiffness' of a stiff nut.

When a piece of equipment needs to be free, so that one can easily move it by hand, 'Torque loading becomes irrelevant in my view.

I seem to remember pilots moving the shackle by hand before getting into the seat, but that was a long time ago now & I could be mistaken.

As to whether the seat would have operated as speed, that would depend upon the exact geometry of the mechanism.

Simple nut' bolts for sure, but some may not be familiar with them.