PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea News
Thread: North Sea News
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 15:29
26500lbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree, hence my question to 26500. I hope he can expand on his statement with some solid facts based on personal experience.
VL - a public forum not the place to go into too much detail for all and sundry to view, but I hope those who are in a position to affect change are speaking to the right people and visiting the right places. Things are not perfect in Norway, and they know that and readily admit it. They go to good lengths regularly to identify their own weaknesses and do not operate a blame culture in any way, shape or form. They are very keenly following all that has happened in the UK sector and have been proactive in modifying training to deal with some of the perceived shortfalls that have caused accidents and incidents in the past and not just post-Sumburgh. One very important thing I believe has also been their ability not to over complicate things when it is not necessary and maintain a "common-sense” approach.
They have also been good at resisting external pressure to undermine them and overly complicate their ops. They have clear areas where they will not budge and one is training. They have made sure that they keep a very close control on training despite pressure to outsource.
Get on a plane and spend a day in a Norwegian planning room then a day in a UK one. Again things are not perfect in Norway, but in general the pilots are better looked after, have better rosters, therefore more time away from base which perhaps translates to them being more motivated when at work. The culture is far less of a hierarchy, where everyone has a far more equal say. Even the cockpit gradient is far flatter than some might be used to in the UK. Many things over the years have contributed to this but there is a far less competitive environment internally than one typically finds in the UK. Take care of your people and they will take care of you.