PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 12:43
IFMU

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
I had switched to sitting out this one, as I am not sure I am qualified. But I do recall, years ago, discussions with the chief instructor of my first soaring club. He was an advocate of touching down in a slip. John started out in B17's during the war. His early airline experience was piston and he transitioned to jets like many of his peers. He felt he knew where the engines were and how much wing down he could do without harm. He was not big on the crab and kick method.

I did my 10 hours of acro training in a Pitts S2A. That instructor was a little younger. He was flying P51s at the end of the war but didn't make it overseas. Later he was training the young jocks who flew in Korea. We spent a bunch of time doing landings, including heading to the big airport for hardtop and crosswind. That was all wing down. I think it would take a leap of faith for either the pilot, or especially the instructor to get the timing right in the Pitts to kick it out at the last minute. This is especially true at my skill level.

I know I will not try it in the C140 I rent. I would be willing to be shown by somebody covered by insurance. Personally I like the slow motion touchdown, or takeoff, where nothing is hurried and all control inputs are slow and steady. I like to prolong the touchdown as long as possible, a slow tradeoff of wings vs wheels bearing the weight.
Bryan