PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 11:51
SirPeterHardingsLovechild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Forward 6 Back
Q1. Is the seat pan handle linkage levers or cables? (You can't push a simple cable)
Q2. Does pushing the handle back into the housing reset the mechanism
Q3. Did this individual report this incident

From my Hawk recollections;

A1. Yes. The handle is linkages rather than a cable, but the first tiny bit of pull is to remove the handle from the housing rather than start actuating the linkage. You can push it back in. We used to have to do it on the training seats when taking new students for seat briefs etc.

A2. Yes, effectively, as the mechanism's not been triggered. In reality, I doubt anyone would actually reset the seat themselves. Certainly in my time sitting on Mk10s and their equivalents, if you noticed an issue with the seat like this, you'd have an armourer meet you on the line to make the seat safe for maintenance before you unstrapped.

A3. Yes; I remember the HFOR or whatever it was at the time.
Thank you for reply.

The usual suspects are limbering up for an Airworthiness debate, something that should command the respect of many PPRuNers, although they are a bit like a stuck record sometimes.

I have mentioned a couple of things that greatly perturb me, in previous posts.

One is that I don't see how they concluded that the seat was unsafe from the previous trip. Secondly, by not allocating blame to individuals, I think that MB are being treated shabbily. I was under the impression that Just Culture does attribute blame.

Waiting for the SI release, I think Airsound said next week