PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 09:18
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never said crab was the only way! I said the wing down/crossed controls is used by a small percentage of pilots while the vast majority use the Crab.
(proof of the pudding?)
I also expressed a concern that SOME may use the crossed control method because they are insecure handling winds and transitioning from crab to landing straight. I stated that if you are confortable with all manner of landings and happen to choose the crossed controls then Fine.
OK Pace, well it has certainly felt at times that you were advocating crab as the only way, happy to hear otherwise! Whilst you may be correct in that a majority use crab, I would say that this is because of the trend to tricycle gear and the fact that many instructors ONLY teach crab having learnt on Pa28/38 and getting worried about touching the wing (not really a problem unless you take it to extremes) - I could of course be totally wrong!
Again if you read my posts you will see that I DO often use crab on the approach - but transition to a wing down in the flare, so my pax also get a nice sideways view!