PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Official : British Airways Retires Concorde (merged)
Old 11th Apr 2003, 10:43
Jetdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the great good fortune to fly Concorde to New york many years ago when my wife and I were married. This last year thanks to said wifes staff travel priviliges I was able to take one of my sons (12) on 3 Concorde flights to or from New York.

Concorde isn't like other forms of air travel. It is like a Rolls Royce motor car or a saville row tailored suit. It is an expression of luxurious living, oppulent style and unique achievement. It is an experience that one young man will savour all his life. The luxury and quiet of the lounges at LHR and JFK. The feeling of being someone special whilst ushered to the check in desks. The onboard cuisine and fine wines. The excitement of a Concorde take off. watching the sun rise rise in the west. Seeing the indigo sky at 61,000 ft. Crews who take great pride in their charge. Crossing the Atlantic in 3.5 hours instead of 7 hours. The whole experience was a cause of well being and something just right in the world.

Those that rubbish the Concorde as uneconomic or who relish in its demise really do miss the point ! Unfortunetaly unless they experienced Concorde for themselves it is probably impossible to persude them otherwise. For 3.5 hours and the time on the ground the Concorde experience made everyone involved feel truly that cut above the rest of the world. It was expensive but in fact it was priceless.

I am very sad that I will not be able to share this experience with my younger children. I am sad that not everybody will get to experience this airplane just once in their lives. To all the crews who participated in this adventure I offer my thanks and appreciation for your involvement in something my wife, my son and I shall never forget.