PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 00:43
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace,
if you read my post you will see that I am NOT advocating wing down for you,as you say, you would probably screw it up and bend your aircraft! I am merely stating what most people seem to do reading the thread, what I prefer, and that you should not be so pedantic that crab is the only way!

Chuck,
Also not reading I think, I did not say that I would transition AT 300', just that most do that somewhere between 300' and roundout. Personally, including in a large aircraft, I would hold the crab until roundout, then straighten, lowering the into wind wing at the same time, the amount of wing down being dependant on wind and aircraft type, even with crab you destabilise at this point with the kick straight. Most Tailwheel vintage aircraft it would be a slipping approach anyway to see better (the forward/side slip bit I think is a North American thing, do not really get that distinction here in UK). Teaching is where I would be getting the student to set up wing down at around 300' - and actually is an argument for your original post of doing it from a long way out - you would then be flying a STABLE wing down approach all the way down, but as has been said, not comfortable and really unnecessary, in a light aircraft 300' gives plenty of time for a student to set it up and be stable for landing - and of course you do not then de stabilise in the flare with large rudder inputs!

Last edited by foxmoth; 2nd Feb 2014 at 02:39.