PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American to lay off 2500 pilots
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2003, 08:48
B767300ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Farce?

Ah, B&W, you seem to find the need to qualify yourself. I hate to play a childish game, but here goes:

I have worked for many more airlines than you (6), been a military pilot also, flew corporate, flight instructed, sim instructed and I'm certain I have not only more total flying experience than your part-time, 20-hrs per month Herc or VIP 707 job, but thousands more jet hours as well. Think the B-747s the cat's meow, just cause you got a rating? I've got L-1011/DC-10/A-320/MD-80/DC-9, B-727/737/757/767 and military/corporate jets on my resume, too; Along with 4 jet type-ratings (all large transport category aircraft), I have more time in jets flying over the ocean than you have flying over land. Over a thousand oceanic crossings, and funny enough, experience flying to many of those garden spots you mentioned. I have flown into and out of every continent EXCEPT Antarctica, not to mention numerous global hot-spots.

About TWA, you may not have been qualified, my friend; we did oceanic navigation and international procedures the old-fashioned way---SAFELY. We did IRS/INS gross-error checks, FMS accuracy checks, position plots on more than just waypoints and other checks and cross-checks; flying to 4 continents (yes, even up to the time we were bought by that over-sized domestic airline) tends to give your pilots that kind of experience AND the wisdom not to ever be complacent.

AA, of course, has no accuracy checks, gross-error checks or other cross-checks before entering or while in MNPS airspace, nor do they do anything to verify they're on the proper track navigating to the next correct waypoint, except the required position reports at longitudenal waypoints. I also was amused to find out that your procedures included switching the navigation instruments to "true" from "magnetic" when entering MNPS. Why is that? Can't tell the difference between true heading and magnetic course when looking from your EHSI to your plotting chart? Never heard that "east is least..." phrase? These procedures are obviously designed for superior airmen like yourself, who obviously think highly of themselves and never make mistakes we normal humans make. I guess thats why AA is so 'revered' and well-respected in the airline industry as a 'leader'. But, the category you 'lead' in is'nt one other air carriers would care to challenge, mate.

Lastly, I'm sure you're one of those chaps that after he walks under those signs in AA crew rooms/mailrooms (or walks thru doors where the sign is posted) that claim "THROUGH THESE HALLS WALK THE GREATEST PILOTS IN THE WORLD" actually believes that to be the case!

You've certainly convinced me; I think you're the best!