PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top Results from AME Training Survey January 2014
Old 1st Feb 2014, 19:23
capitaine flam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To quinkytube, gsy boy and Nutloose

Thank you very much for your positive comments. The results confirmed my own opinions and observations of the last few years. I am of the opinion myself that it is now a matter of urgency for the UK to look at reverting the decline in maintenance engineering training (and to be honest all engineering in general, as it is unlikely that aviation is the only industry suffering from a decline in engineering caliber and competence).

I know this survey only received 120 respondents, but in view of the percentages, it is most probable that the same survey on 1000 or 5000 UK AMEs would produce the same results. It would certainly be an interesting exercise.

I am quite determined to persist in my line of work in attempting to bring about positive changes in that field. One just has to keep going and keep one's eyes on the mountain regardless of the hurdles to be surmounted.

I must add that, to my delight, I have already been approached by an important aviation authority seeking more info about the survey responses. So one can only hope that perhaps a seed has been planted and that it may start to grow into something more significant and positive, or at least the start of further genuine research/investigation with the goal of solving the problem for the benefit of the UK industry and posterity!

In the meantime, I would whole-heartedly encourage those veterans and competent AMEs to do what they possibly can in helping those young and newly trained AMEs become competent if you find yourself working with them. I am sure that there are a certain percentage of very keen and aviation-mad lads and ladettes who may have been short-changed in their "Part 66 training" at "Part 147 training centres" and who could really benefit from genuine mentoring.

In the same way, it would be very worthwhile to demand high standards from one's fellow engineers regardless of reasons one shouldn't. Quality work is always good for morale!

As for myself, had it not been for two real decent veterans who gave me a break and a chance to have a go, with good mentoring, I would not be on this forum today.