PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2014, 16:02
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started this thread to ask why so many pilots side slip all the way down the final approach.
Well, reading through the thread I would say that actually not that many DO side slip all the way down, it would seem to me that most crab to 300' or less and then either kick straight for landing (what I would describe as a FULL crab technique landing), or transition at some point to wing down, many actually doing so as they kick straight in the flare.
There are some on the thread that seem to say crab is the ONLY technique that is right and IMHO these are as wrong as those that say that wing down is the only technique, I have been flying 40 years now and never had a problem with crosswinds, personally I prefer wing down because from the time you set the aircraft up like that you point the nose straight down the runway and it stays there until you are at a speed to turn off. I CAN fly crab, and indeed teach it because I like my students to know how to do BOTH methods, I also fly LARGE (360 seat) aircraft, but still prefer wing down ON LANDING. I can accept though that others prefer crab and you should stick to what suits you and the aircraft you are flying.