PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2014, 10:27
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
I too once visited West Drayton, including the RAF Mil cell there. Pride of place I seem to remember was a large vertical map of the UK on which auto triangulation beams would pin point an aircraft transmitting on the distress freq (243 Mhz by then I guess). I've often wondered under whose control they operated, Obviously they had their own internal CoC (up to Wg Cdr?) but did they then come under NATS operational control, or were they answerable operationally to the RAF? If so who, an AOC? I know, I should have asked!

As ever, you paint the scene superbly Danny, both in time and place. Electricity in the UK was a jumble of non compatible plugs back then, even if you were on AC. 15 and 5 Amp plugs, as well as special ones for razors, clocks, lights etc. My mother used to subvert the whole process by plugging her iron into a "Y" shaped lighting outlet attached to the ceiling pendant that also fed a light bulb. That I am still here to tell the tale is surely down to pure providence.

It is a measure of your attraction to the engineering state of the art that you boasted an electric razor of any sort. Shaving by safety razor, soap, and brush was still the default then and not the retro style fashion that it is today.

Good luck on the slopes, and please don't do anything silly, will you?