PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2014, 08:08
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Zulu

Thank you.

I have never criticised designers and, indeed, have supported them consistently in my many posts. If I caused confusion, I apologise. No designer is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. God knows I made a few howlers when I was one. But that is why the defences in depth (design reviews/configuration milestones) are mandated and I disagree with MoD's stated policy that they can be waived, at the whim of a non-engineer. It is a slightly different issue that he is also allowed to make a false declaration that they were held successfully, but I disagree with that as well. As always, I fully accept that many disagree with me, including the MAA and DE&S policy branch, but I'm glad you don't.

Edited to add; Sorry, I did openly criticise one company, who always put negative tolerances on their wiring/loom drawings; but as they had been awarded the major contract on a political direction, without bidding, I guess anyone would make the same criticism. Such a mistake, and refusal to correct, indicates zero subject knowledge. Perhaps worse, a non-engineer in MoD was allowed to arbitrate - he did not choose wisely. I suppose strictly speaking the original error wasn't made by a designer - loom drawings are apprentice jobs. But the designer made the mistake by signing them off.

Last edited by tucumseh; 1st Feb 2014 at 08:19.