PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2014, 01:14
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck, I've been enjoying reading the thread, which I picked up on only recently. One perspective I didn't see mentioned was that of someone flying some of the new-generation VLA or LSA aircraft. I fly one of these quite a lot, as well as the usual GA stuff. It's a classic lightweight (<600 kg) low-wing, low wing loading, low stall speed design, with good demonstrated cross-wind capability (22 kt). I also fly in a windy locality, with strong gusting winds being the norm for much of the year.

The first thing in this scenario is that care is going to be needed regardless of the landing technique you choose: a little aeroplane, needing slow approach speeds in strong gusting winds means you're going to be busy. I'm happy to fly either wing-down or crabbed approaches but I find that in the worst conditions, with the x/w at maximum demonstrated or beyond, a crabbed approach works best. The crab angle is essentially instantly adjustable and I find the aircraft is particularly easy to land using a late transition to wing down and rudder as required to keep straight. That aside, with the gusts being a fair component of the stall speed, and disdaining excess approach speed, I feel safer flying final with no crossed controls (even though I know the safety margins are high in the approach and landing configuration).

Having said all that, I love flying the classic flapless taildraggers with a wing-down approach, probably just because I can. Also, being a lazy type it just seems as though when you're using some slip to adjust the approach anyway, why not use it for drift offset? Just a preference and not meant to be consistent with the LSA situation.

Finally, I only saw one other reference to a crab on final with a bit of wing down. I've flown with quite a few bush pilots who do this but I've also observed that quite a few others do it instinctively, which I think is no bad thing.