PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wales Air Ambulance - info please!
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2014, 00:02
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wales Air Ambulance - info please!

As a long time resident of Pembrokeshire I am concerned that our Health Board and its collaborators in the Welsh Assembly are proposing to downgrade our A & E Department at Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest to a daytime only service. They have already announced closure of the Special Care Baby Unit and childrens ward, Orthodaedics and A & E are to follow. Services will be 'centralised' in Carmarthen, which is approx 15 minutes drive from the major hospital at Morriston! Parts of N Pembs, where I live, are over 50 miles (and over an hour's drive) from Carmarthen.
When questioned the CEO/WAG minister stated that any emergencies would go by Helimed to Glangwilli Hospital in Carmarthen.
My question:
1. Does 'our' air ambulance operate 24/7 these days?
2. Is there a helipad at Glangwilli and cleared for night use (when I flew Sea Kings from Brawdy there wasn't).
3. What is the operating cost per hour of the AA.
4. Would it be used to transfer a woman in labour with possible complications.

Many thanks if any current Wales Helimed person can answer, PM me if preferred. Incidentally, I landed the first SK on the then new pad at Withybush and got photographed handing over the 'giant cheque' from Brawdy collections for the new baby unit.