PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B Mandate – ATCs Responsible for Deaths?
Old 31st Jan 2014, 19:43
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250B10 probably 'cause (from your friendly, anonymous, helpful FF HQ IT/t.w.i.t.t.e.r guy...)...

Performance-based navigation: are you equipped to fly?

The evolution of performance-based navigation in Australia continues with the introduction of new equipment mandates for all instrument flight rules aircraft from 6 February 2014. Since 12 December 2013, all aircraft operating in Australian airspace have needed approved and serviceable automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) equipment installed in order to fly at or above flight level 290. CASA has provided a limited exemption to this requirement for aircraft operating in designated areas of airspace until December 2015.

The next round of equipment mandates come into effect from 6 February 2014, when all instrument flight rules aircraft new to the Australian register must be equipped with ADS-B and TSO C145, C146 or C196 global navigation satellite system (GNSS) equipment. Existing aircraft that are modified on or after this date must also be equipped with compliant GNSS equipment, as well as an ADS-B capable transponder if the aircraft operates in class A, C or E airspace or in class G airspace above 10,000ft. If you are planning to buy an aircraft from the USA and operate it in Australia, you need to ensure the aircraft has the right GNSS equipment and that the ADS-B installed uses Mode S transponder with Extended Squitter (commonly referred to as 1090 MHz Extended Squitter). Aircraft from the USA with ADS-B through the Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) system will not work in Australia and are not compliant with the new rules.

By 4 February 2016, GNSS will become mandatory for all aircraft operating under instrument flight rules and by 2 February 2017 all aircraft operating under instrument flight rules in Australia must be equipped with approved ADS-B. CASA will be holding more information sessions about performance-based navigation in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Essendon during February and March.

Find out session dates and locations or read more about the implementation of performance-based navigation in Australia, equipment mandates and the limited ADS-B exemption.

OA:
A GA IFR aircraft is still mixing with non ADS-B VFR aircraft and non transponder RA(Aus) aircraft. I get no benefit from reduced separation or priority handling.

At a guess there are maybe 3,000 IFR aircraft (1/3 the GA fleet). At $25k each that $75 million.

Let me repeat that slowly for you. S.e.v.e.n.t.y F.i.v.e M.i.l.l.i.o.n D.o.l.l.a.r.s.

The GST alone on this is $7.5m. Plus the 2% duty on the import of the hardware is probably another $180k.

This is 50% more money than the government has just refused to pay to maintain a fruit processing industry in Australia. And this cost impost on GA has been done without a whiff of analysis.

The FAA did this analysis and saw no cost benefit in mandating ADS-B. So did Canada. So did the EU.
Akro would be interesting to see what the FAA's CBA figure was when they did the analysis..

Even though not mandated till '20 (at least) it is obviously still a hot topic in the States...EAA, FAA Review Full Agenda at Summit

Among the issues discussed during the summit's two days were:
• Allowing electric propulsion for ultralights and light-sport aircraft, and clearing regulatory hurdles that prevent today's electric motor technology from emerging
• Current conflicts in regulations that limits the availability to provide flight training for ultralights and other low-mass, high-drag aircraft, so those areas of aviation can become more vibrant and safe
• An option for use of an additional qualified pilot during homebuilt flight testing, which would add an additional opportunity to enhance safety and best practices in those initial flying hours
• Incompatibility issues for ADS-B and NextGen technology, where pilots are spending significant dollars for future mandated equipment but cannot ensure that it is supplying the correct data
• Warbird operating limitations that potentially hinder how warbird owners can use their aircraft or add significant cost and complexity to their maintenance and operation