PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yemenia A-310 accident 2009 report
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 19:31
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was not able to read the report and did not want to read a rough translation, but my two cents worth from the armchair:

The crew seemed "concerned" about something from the outset. They kept banging on about the runway beacon, the lights being turned up and more importantly the wind speed and direction. It seemed to me that perhaps they did not want to do a circle, and by requesting the wind several times maybe hoped that it might not be necessary. The possibility that they confused 20 and 02 can also be thrown into the mix. Something did not add up is the feeling that I got when reading between the ATC lines, and well before the staggering outcome that eventually came to be seen.

IMHO these guys were confused even before they passed the IAF, and from there on made it up as they went along, without perhaps even a cursory briefing.

I do however have one question to ask of those who fly THIS TYPE. I know nought about FBW, but have heard much about the "protection" that such aircraft can offer. Why were the crew not protected from simply stalling a perfectly serviceable airplane into the ocean?

If you fly the PRECISE type I would love to be educated.