PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 31st Jan 2014, 17:10
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Really QBF?

yet more evidence of the shortcomings of the P-8
I can't find a date on your report but as it is based on a series of evaluations conducted over a year ago, how can you be sure those shortcomings haven't already been addressed?

I must be reading a different report to you as I can't really see
The too many shortcomings to be considered
; I could selectively pull out positive quotes from that report just as easily as you have pulled negative ones. The US military have a bit of a track record of getting the airframe into service first and then fixing the systems; how long was the F15A in service before being upgraded to the C and how long has the C been in service compared to the A; same for the F16A and C; F18A and C etc etc.

If the P8 has too many shortcomings to be considered, what are the options available now, or in the next 5 years for UK PLC? Let's assume you need something with a minimum 4 hour loiter time at 1000nm from home base. That needs to be able to locate, track and attack all forms of SS. Undertake ASuW missions up to and including the attack phase. Do overwater and potentially overland ISR. Contribute to SAR if required. Etc etc. I've no dog in the fight but what is your solution?

As for
how do you know what I know?
we don't know, (unless QBF = Stuffy, in which case the answer would appear to be very little!!). Over to you.