PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 16:14
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS. Chuck. How to land? Isn't landing as simple as flying level with the ground with the power off until the aircraft won't? Most places require one to fly in a straight line too.
Not Chuck but just to expand the discussion Landing is not as closely associated to stall as imagined. Yes stall will give the slowest speed and hence the shortest landing distance but there the connection almost stops.

A Jet Jockey friend of mine landed a Citation at Edinburgh at a radar estimated speed of 200 KTS stopped on the runway with I believe the tyres intact although way over their limiting speeds. He had perceived handling problems. A typical VREF for that aircraft is 105-110 KTS. So more than double the normal touchdown speed.
I am obviously not suggesting that anyone emulates that or any way near that but use that example to disassociate stall and landing in pilots minds

Landing has little to do with stall or a VREF of 1.3 times the stall in a given configuration but obviously has when stopping to the book values.

Be precise enough and you could land at higher speeds. the determining factor here is the distance ratio between the nose wheel and mains. The bigger the distance between the nose and mains and the more likely you are to keep the nose from touching at higher speed. short coupled the harder a higher speed is possible.

Just threw that snippet in the pot as another consideration point and more a consideration of why you can fly it on rather than thinking you have to be hanging there in strong winds trying to land at the stall.

Pace