PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 15:46
Miserlou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to remember a King video filmed from the touchdown end of a runway where the aircraft flies level along the runway moves from side to side with the use of rudder and ailerons.

I wondered why this exercise was not included in the sillytrainingbus.

In fact, I used to demonstrate this on the ATR when cleared a long landing. Just a slight increase of power at 20' and it would fly level for ages until the speed decayed and this provided a slow motion flare and touchdown. Unsurprisingly, this technique was easier than a normal landing.
The ATR was great for crosswinds with its 45kt take-off and 38kt landing demonstrated components.

On that sideline, one can often see and feel commercial aircraft 'feeling' for the ground with one wing down and a little opposite rudder.
The reason being that the sudeen drag of all the main wheels touching down at the same time can feel like a firmer arrival than it actually was.

PS. Chuck. How to land? Isn't landing as simple as flying level with the ground with the power off until the aircraft won't? Most places require one to fly in a straight line too.