PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 14:50
nonsoloinglese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving on

Afternoon all,
I applied via CAE Oxford (OAA) and had my assessment day on the 8th January. I unfortunately didn't get through, passed the majority of the exams but a few areas were not upto scratch.
The day I got the email I was sat in the BA Lounge at Gatwick and was obviously disappointed. During my subsequent flight to Venice I mentioned to the cabin manager that I applied for BA FPP and was kindly invited to the flight deck at the end of the flight. I spent 10 minutes with the flight crew talking about the day and they made me feel so much better. They know how hard it is and saw my passion, eventually I was booted off by the Italian turnaround manager.

I had the debrief and like many people here I was very impressed by the care and attention taken by OAA. They were fantastic and supportive and it is very therapeutic understanding one's weaknesses. I have since brushed up on mental maths!

To those that have criticised the cost then you truly need to appreciate the cost to businesses to staff and facilitate things like assessment days and courses. They are a derivative of one of the most volatile industries around, when airlines go bankrupt then flight schools suffer.

Also the money issue should not be the thing that stops you from applying. You will still need to fund FPP, privately or via loan, just like you would need to a private scheme. FPP pays you back over the first 7 years of your employment. £5k in 9 years time is not the same as it will be today. The money is irrelevant when it helps you acheive your dreams. Here I am today kicking myself for not paying £3,000 to go on Concorde in 2003!

Good luck and congratulations to those that get through!

Last edited by nonsoloinglese; 5th Jun 2014 at 09:04.