PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 14:18
3 Point

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Pace,

OK, agree that the thread started off considering the earlier part of the approach and that it may be less appropriate to use wing down too early. The discussion has however developed to include comments on how to handle the flare and touchdown in all sorts of aircraft.

The quote you picked out from my remarks is valid in the context I was using although I will concede that it would have been more complete if I had said that

"The only option, other than going around, was..."

Once again I would say that one can not generalise about a particular technique and claim that it is the best choice (or even a valid option) for all circumstances. What you have been doing for the past 28 years I hope, is choosing the best option from a range of available techniques to optimise the outcome of many dynamic and different situations. Sometimes varying those choices in response to unexpected changes outside your immediate control.

Your remark about playing a violin is exactly what I am getting at so I know you understand what I mean.

If you know that the wind conditions or perhaps your lack or familiarity with the type you are flying, will make it difficult to anticipate the exact moment to straighten the crab before touchdown, might it not be wise to transition to the wing down technique at 100 feet rather than being forced to do so in the flare? As I say, different techniques for different circumstances!

3 Point